6.3.12

Of Workshops & Brushstrokes II

Just as I expected, the second Oriental Painting workshop did not get any easier.

On our second session we moved on to painting the chrysanthemum and plum.
Together with last weeks' subjects (the orchid and the bamboo), they are known as "The Four Gentlemen". Click here to read a little bit more about it.

"Obtaining the shades depends on the pressure and the slope of the brush."

The Four Gentlemen are the first learned in Oriental Painting as each subject requires the control of a specific brush technique. For example, in a "perfect" plum painting you must have thick and thin brush strokes, as well as dry and wet ones. The orchid is good for practising free-arm movements*; remember, the brush and the tip of the brush hitting the paper is merely an extension of your arm, of your vision.



We also incorporated the use of colour. Solidified rattan sap and regular gouache paint can be used for yellow colouring, for the Chrysanthemum.

On the right: rattan sap. Used directly by adding a small amount of water. 
Personally, it was a much harder class technically, but also because I let my mood get the better of me. I'd been grumpy because I was running late all day (French exam in the morning, lunch, traffic, etc etc). Lesson learned: You should never let your feelings get the better of you.

After a storm comes a calm. And rainbows!
See the two rainbows on my paper?
I edited a small video my mom took of Gi-ok Jeon, so everyone could see how easy she makes it look. That was yesterday, and I supposedly exported it to youtube but I'm beginning to think it'll never make it. If I figure out another way to get it online, I'll be sure to post it up immediately!

In the meantime, make sure to check out:
1.  My Flickr album if you care to see more pictures.**
2. And if you missed my post on my first workshop session, you can find it here.

Next up: Flowers and Fruits

* All information from a workshop handout.
** I will keep updating after every workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment