21.7.12

Having a Laura Palmer Moment?

By that I don't mean I was murdered or on cocaine or dreaming about Bob.
If you're familiar with Twin Peaks, then you know the famous Laura Palmer portrait. 
Source
There's something about photo studio portraits that make you look eerie and frigidly pleased.
Just look at this portrait of a 12 year old me.



Untitled
My mother made that dress, thankyouverymuch.


For instance- why is it never a full frontal or full profile, rather, an awkward in-between?
Yeah, I haven't changed much- and this is photographic proof of my awkward teen phase- who knows when that will be over. The only difference now is I don't have braces anymore.
It' should come as no surprise that I was not a very popular kid in school. 
But while we're on the subject of Twin Peaks, on a trip to Maine a couple years ago, I spotted this:
Untitled
All I could think about was Dr. Jacoby and his red/blue round glasses.
Wise man, that Jacoby.
I need to own Twin Peaks on DVD.
And now you have to listen to this.
Welcome to Twin Peaks, where the owls are not what they seem.

2 comments:

  1. LOL You're so right about portraits! I have more awkward ones than I care to admit, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (No worries about double posts- that happens to me too!) :)
      Oh, I also have many more awkward photos from where this one came from haha

      Delete