29.2.12

"Food is culture, habit and identity."

Discuss.

I don't know about you, but those words ring very true to my ears. 
Eating is a big part of who we are.
 I'm proud to say I've been a vegetarian for a full year (as of January 2012). I'd dabbled into it a couple of times, but was always hesitant due to the unbearable question: What about protein? (I say unbearable because it's a vegetarian FAQ). People don't believe in grain or plant protein. I didn't either.
I hadn't educated myself enough and believed all this "You need animal protein"talk. You'll find once you start doing your research that it's not true.
I feel like the tables have turned now- I'm more concerned about all those eating meat and their well being.*

"Well planned vegetarian diets are apropriate for all individuals during all stages of life cycles, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes" - American Dietetic Association

Like J.S.Foer, I'm not advocating vegetarianism and imposing it upon you as the right thing to do. People need to be informed, be willing to face facts and do.

What baffles me all the time is how we, as the 'higher species' are so insensitive, so inhumane to the 'lesser species'- why aren't we using all technological advances  for the good of the world? It seems to me we're only making things worse and harder to live in...

"[...] being human, being humane, is more than exercie of reason."


Not only are the animals being tortured (there is no other word to how they are being handled), they're also being fed unnatural things: antibiotics, faeces, blood, supplements, you get the picture. I'm sure it's not something you want as part of your diet.

What I liked about 'Eating Animals' is that Foer gets both sides of the ordeal. He isn't lecturing at all, rather it's a personal journey (as it also was for me, reading it) to further reason a life choice.
Because...
"If nothing matters, there's nothing to save."
I would also recommend Cher Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet.
Picture from Peas in a Blog 
Not only does it talk about the advantages of a plant/grain based diet in an easy-to-follow 'voice', it's also packed with delicious recipes too! Some of which you can also find on her website: thekindlife.com

On another (lighter) note
Now reading: Without Feathers by Woody Allen
(I figured I needed something a little more fun!)

What is everyone reading nowadays?

* There are still some family farms who are anti-factory farms worth mentioning (and were mentioned in the book): Paradise Locker Meats, Niman Ranch, Good Shepherd Poultry

No comments:

Post a Comment