10.1.12

There's Nothing Quite Like A Real Book'




When I see videos like that, my first response is, "What patience!"*
But then I feel I fail to really grasp the genius behind it, so let's just talk about books.

Yes, our hardcover/paperback friends, books.
A book is a perfect companion; it's the friend you meet for coffee, it keeps you company at the doctor's while you're waiting, it's part of the perfect rainy day equation, it allows you to think for yourself, etc...

I recently finished re-reading (for the nth time) my favourite book: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry. Only this time it was a slightly different experience: I read it in its original French. 
I understand now how much can be lost in translation.




"I can carry you farther than any ship could take you."
- The Little Prince 


Right now I'm reading Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint

I'd read American Pastoral two years ago and had a conflictive reaction to it. I found his writing style to be a little pretentious, the characters frustrating... But it left an impression on me as I couldn't get over the story itself. So here I am, giving him another go.
So far, so good. It constantly reminds me of Chuck Palahniuk's Choke and Nabokov's Lolita
We'll see how it fares in the end...
So,

I dare you to submerge yourself into that book you're reading or have been wanting to read.
... Go!



* This other video (by the same creator) is also worth a watch: http://youtu.be/zhRT-PM7vpA

No comments:

Post a Comment