26.10.14

A Much Longer Book Survey (Or How This Is All I Ever Post)

Yes, this is how I roll. I disappear and re-appear and then only post book surveys. 
And there have been times I've thought about updating this here blog- only to prefer sleepy time to writing time. Or Netflix time. Or just wasting-away time. 
Shame on me, I know. 

Regardless, here I go. Taken from Alley (aka Red) from What Red Read

1. Favorite childhood book:

The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
This was my favourite mostly because I thought it was funny and my parents always called me grouchy (I was a little bratty at times, but nothing too crazy)












2. What are you reading right now?
Oy vey. It feels like I've been reading Peyton Place for the longest time; I have actually really been enjoying it, though. I may look into the series/film when I am done with it.
I have also been reading a book for school (acting related)- it's been pretty darn insightful.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Where I am, libraries are few. And far from where I am. :(

4. Bad book habit: 
Buying them and piling them up at home. I do eventually read them, but the rate I buy them at doesn't compare.
I also tend to read too fast and miss out on action/information in a story.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Nada.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yep. I love a book, physically holding one. But an e-reader really is handy!
I've got both a Nook (1st Edition) and a Kindle Paperwhite. 

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I used to be a "One book at a time" kind of person. Now I read up to 3; they all must be different genres though. Otherwise I can't handle it.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
No. It has changed since I graduated from Uni (for the worse, I'm afraid to say).

9. Least favorite book you read this year:
None. I've enjoyed all I've read so far.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year:
Life of Pi. People raved about it for good reason and glad I finally got to it.

11. How often do you read outside of your comfort zone?
I break out of it every now and then! Mostly with non-fiction (I know, I know...)

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Fiction, especially classics. I need to keep my contemporary game up. 

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yep! As long as I'm not driving (even then, I wish I could read while driving)

14. Favorite place to read:
Anywhere I can get into a comfortable position.



15. What is your policy on book lending?
Ay, ay, ay. I've had bad experiences (I still mourn the loss of my "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey" copy...) so I don't do it. 
There's only one person I lend books to. 

16. Do you dog-ear your books?
 Yes. *cringes* I know and I'm sorry.
I try not to, though. It's just, when there's a really good/lovely/thought provoking passage, I can't help it. 

17. Do you write notes on the margins of your books?
No. I did once or twice when I was in college and whenever I pick up those books I want to scream, "WHY?! WHY?!"
I learned my lesson well.

18. Do you break/crack the spines?
Not intentionally.

19. What is your favorite language to read?
If I can read it in it's original language, then that's my favourite language to read. I can do Spanish, Portuguese and French.
But for those I can't: English.


20. What makes you love a book?
The characters. The story/plot. The writing!

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
The aforementioned; if done well.

22. Favorite genre:
Fiction. All kind. 

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did):
Non-fiction/history kind of stuff...

24. Favorite biography:
Primo Levy's "If This is a Man" and Gene Wilder's "Kiss me Like a Stranger"
25. Have you read a self-help book (and was it helpful)? 
YUP and YUP.
This is also a recent thing. Growing up and battling with depression have led me to these books. 

26. Favorite cook book:
Nigella Kitchen by Nigella Lawson
The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone

27. The most inspirational book you’ve read this year:
Viktor Frankl's Man's search for Meaning and The 7 Spiritual Laws for Success by Deepak Chopra
Also Life of Pi by Yann Martel because well, that's what great storytelling is all about. And I want to whip of great stories one day too.

28. Favorite reading snack:
A nice big hot cup of tea and cookies or a fruit or some nuts or crackers

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience:
The Da Vinci Code. Hype or no hype though, I still would've hated the book. Awful, awful. 

30. How often do you agree with the critics about a book?
Eh. About 50/50

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
If I do it's because it really is awful. I'm too nice to give straight up negative reviews.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which would it be?
One that I don't already? Japanese, hands down.

33. Most intimidating book I’ve ever read:
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
But definitely worth it

34. Most intimidating book I’m too nervous to begin:
The Bible?

35. Favorite Poet:
Sylvia Plath, William Carlos Williams, Pablo Neruda, William Blake

36. How many books do you generally have checked out of the library at a given time?
Zilch.

37. How often do you return books to the library unread?
I'll ignore this one.

38. Favorite fictional character:
At the top of my head: Sirius Black, Atticus Finch, Mr. Darcy, Matilda.

39. Favorite fictional villain:
Iago from Othello

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation:

Light reads. This summer I read A Streetcat Named Bob and it was a perfect beach companion.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading:
Hmmm. A month?

42. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Internet and technology.
And if people speak to me directly (I can read while people are talking, as long as they're not talking to me)

43. Name a book you could not finish:
The DaVinci Code. When We Were Bad (Charlotte Mendelson).

44. Favorite film adaption of a novel:
Hmmm. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (David L. Wolper version), The Lord of the Rings, Pride & Prejudice (miniseries & Keira Knightley one)

45. The most disappointing film adaptation:
Emma... Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.
Life of Pi was great visually (and Ang Lee is phenomenal as was the cast) but that is the problem about a story of a stranded narrator in open sea. 

46. Most money I’ve ever spent in a bookstore at one time:
Eeeh. Perhaps $60 to 70.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I'll read the first page or so and that's it.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through it?
If I really haven't been enjoying it or if I didn't pick it up in a long time (only to restart it again).

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Somewhat. I have various shelves that are independently organised.

50. Do you prefer to keep your books when done, or give them away?
I've only ever given a couple of books away and it was very difficult for me; that being said, they were for special people. It is not something I do regularly- I get attached to them- but it also isn't something I'm against.

51. Are there any books that you’ve been avoiding?


52. Name a book that made you angry:
Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix. I started reading it and putting it down about 5 times before I actually got through with it. I couldn't stand Professor Umbridge and how angsty and teenager-y Harry, Ron & Hermione were.

53. A book I didn’t expect to like but did:
Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

54. A book I expected to like but didn’t:
The DaVinci Code- I can't get over it, I'm sorry.

55. Favorite guilt-free guilty-pleasure reading:
YA novels. They're fun, alright?

No comments:

Post a Comment